Mrs H. Wade, Head of Art Mr A. Robson, Teacher of Art
Mrs E. Rowlands, Technology and Art Mrs M. Kavanagh, Technology and Art
Miss A. Doyle, Dance and Art
In Key Stage 3, we give the pupils the opportunity to work in a range of media, such as painting and drawing, collage and printing.Pupils are provided with a quality sketchbook to work in at school and at home.
Key Stage 3 Art & Design schemes for learning include : Colour, Impressionism and Pointilism, MC Escher, Portraits, Masks, Still Life, Animal Printing, Landscapes, Aboriginal Art & Pop Art. We aim to cover National Curiculum requirements by introducing our pupils to the work of other artists, craftspeople, designers and cultures. Pupils are encouraged to research the artists methods, analyse them and then use their techniques in their own artwork. Homework is set on a fortnightly basis, offering the chance to demonstrate the skills learnt during lessons.
At Key Stage 4, we offer AQA Fine Art GCSE. Students are provided with sketchbooks and taught to produce ideas, draw, take photographs, make notes, research artists and prepare for their final pieces. The 'Portfolio' is 60% of the final mark and is the majority of the work produced throughout the two year course. The other 40% is based on the 'Externally Set Task' a seperate major project at the end of the two years. The 'Externally Set Task' a ten hour times test, under exam conditions in the Art Department. An end of year exhibition of GCSE art work is displayed in the summer term, which you can access by the Gallery links. We have strong links with the performing arts department and students will design and make the set for the school production. The set was 'Bugsy' this year and students produced a fantastic set and props as part of their 'Portfolio'.
We have had visits to art exhibitons at The Liverpool museums, The Lowry Gallery, Salford and Whitworth Gallery Manchester. We work in the community every year with our pupils, painting brilliant murals for venues such as Westffield Primary School, Halton Hospital Childrens Unit and Victoria Road School. There are links to more galleries of these fantastic images on the Heath School website.